"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover".

-Mark Twain

This year I'm lucky enough to be travelling around Australia in a campervan, exploring the beautiful contrasts of this country and discovering new people, places & experiences everyday....Read on to see what today's discovery has been!

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Sydney graffiti


One of the things I can't help noticing when I visit a city like Sydney is the amount of graffiti you can see everywhere in the streets. It's something I'm just not used to being from the Sunshine Coast where it's definitely still around, but not nearly as much. While I can appreciate proper street art and the skill behind it; graffiti drives me crazy. Besides making for some useful character in some photography shots...to me, the typical 'signature' of a name you can never really understand seems selfish on behalf of the artist and an eyesore for everyone else. So while I was on the bus today, it got me thinking; why do they do it?

I instantly thought of one of my favourite quotes;

"To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have suceeded." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

So although I'm sure there are many reasons different 'artists' have chosen to spray graffiti in city streets; I can't help but think that, for some of them, possibly alot of them; it's their way of leaving their mark on this world. Because isn't that what all of us want in the end? To make a difference? Not in the cliche sense, but in the real, tangible, & purposeful way that lets you lay your head on your pillow at night and know your life counts for something outside yourself. I don't care that we're told society is becoming increasingly selfish, maybe we are, but I don't think any amount of materialistic nature can chase away that little voice that says "make your mark". We want it to different degrees and in contrastingly different ways (isn't that the magic of life), but I believe it's something we all want. I find it impossible to believe the moody teenager who responds with "nothing, I don't care" when you ask them what they want to do with their life. I believe it's a desire every one of us shares; to leave our mark on this world, not only while we're on earth but afterwards. A legacy of something that has value to us, and gives value to others.

And today was a fresh reminder to me to appreciate peoples chosen legacies.

No comments:

Post a Comment